The Magic of Doing One Thing at a Time – Tony Schwartz – Harvard Business Review.
notes from Ajay
These are the steps to perform the task right:
– Note down list of tasks so that you do not forget any (first thing in the morning)
– Set the priority of each task and assign the owner
– Pick up one at a time so that you focus on it
– If it can be delegated, mark in your calendar when to followup with whom as a checkpoints & balances
– Regularly followup on the delegated tasks and circulate the summary of the task to the senior audience (giving visibility of the person who performed the task)
– And finally and most importantly, your brain should be clean and clear for working on a single problem only
Once you establish yourself and have set the leaders in place, you deserve a break. The most creative and innovative time is when you do not have immediate an deliverable. So, enjoy innovation during vacation.
The analogy is: even if the CPU is multitasking, at a transistor level only one instruction of a single task can proceed. So yes, you can be multitasking (using delegation), but when it comes to performing, it is a single task to focus on.